RFCAI Conference 2019 Agenda
Tuesday, May 14th, 2019
Lunch and Registration | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Join us for a drop-in lunch at Front Street United Methodist Church. You’ll be able to sign up for your workshops as well as consulting sessions with partners.
Reconnect: Your Human and Community Museum | 1:00 p.m.
“We are all human museums and we carry our anthropology and archeology inside of us.” – Jaki Shelton Green. Our interactive keynote will help faith leaders and partners reconnect their purpose, motivations, and passions to the reality of their rural communities.
Keynote Speaker: Jaki Shelton Green, NC Poet Laureate
Big Break | 3:20 p.m.
Rural Partnerships Workshops Round 1 | 3:50 p.m.
- The Mental Health Opportunity: Ideas, Partnerships, & Resources to be a Faithful Response to an Overlooked Need
- Second Half of Life and Aging Issues: Faith Community Ministries and Partnerships
- Racial Wealth Gap Simulation: Understanding Systematic Barriers of Racism
- Civic Conversations: State-wide Strategies to Move Forward on Big and Scary Topics
Rural Partnerships Workshops Round 2 | 5:15 p.m.
- Opioids, Substance Abuse, and Recovery Ministries
- Climate, Ecological Justice and Solidarity: What Faith Communities Can Do
- ReCONNECTing to Economic Opportunity: Pathways through Affordable Housing, Workforce Development, and Community Assets
- Education, ACES, and Youth: Caring About Kids and Creating Tangible Results
Dinner | 6:30 p.m
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
Breakfast | 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Join us for drop-in breakfast at Front Street United Methodist Church. We’ll feed you well.
Big Break | 8:30 a.m.
Resilience, Self-Care, Stress, and Spiritual Practices | 9:00 a.m.
Faith leaders are constantly asking for resources to help people they love cope with life’s hardships. From toxic stress, community trauma, grief, mental illness, and changing rural communities- this interactive session will let us practice ways to hold space for hard things.
Big Break | 10:25 a.m.
Civic Conversations | 10:55 a.m.
Based on the recommendations from our ReCONNECT NC series, IEI will be supporting state-wide civic conversations on important topics. IEI’s Director Leslie Boney will share how faith communities can host similar conversations around issues important to their congregations and communities.
Authentic and Intentional Collaboration | 11:15 a.m.
Working together in rural areas- what is working successfully? It’s all about relationships, but what does relationship and consensus building look like in reality. What does it look like in your area?
Lunch | 12:15 p.m.
ABCD and Appreciative Inquiry Strategic Planning Clinic for Community Ministry | 1:15 p.m.
An Asset Based Community Development framework can guide your next steps for a ministry you want to start or strengthen. Work with other faith leaders and partners to figure out your next meaningful steps for your community organization.
Big Break | 2:45 p.m.
Servant Leadership for the Long Haul | 3:15 p.m.
Who are the leaders for your congregation’s plans and partnerships? Our participatory panel will share resources or support your current or potential leaders could need for sustainable ministries.
Closing: ReCONNECT To Rural Possibilities | 4:15 p.m.